Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489)
Those who are unable to score the required points score in the other two streams described in our details under General Skilled Migration, i.e. subclass 189 and subclass 190 are able to apply for subclass 489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa. This visa pathway adds extra points to the total points score enabling you to reach the required minimum points score of 60.
Subclass 489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa is for workers and their family unit to live, work and study in a Designated regional area in Australia. This visa has a validity period of four years. You have two pathways to be become eligible for this visa, namely:
• the Invited Pathway
• the Extended Stay Pathway – you must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496
You might be eligible to apply for this visa if you are invited and you are either:
• nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, or
• sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.
At the time of invitation to apply for this visa, you must:
· Be below 45 years of age at the time of visa application
· have achieved at least the level of Competent English
· have nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list and obtained a skilled assessment that is acceptable to the department
· have been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
· have achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
It is important that your points score should be at least equivalent of more at the time of the application for visa in comparison to the score you had at the time of the invitation to apply
Extended Stay Pathway
You might be eligible to apply for the Extended Stay Pathway if you are the skilled worker who has held one of the following visas and the visa was held only once and you as a visa holder have complied with all visa conditions, for at least two years before applying for this visa:
• subclass 495
• subclass 496
• subclass 475
• subclass 487
As a subclass 489 visa holder, you will be eligible to live, work and study in the Designated Regional Area of Australia up to four years. You can travel overseas and return to Australia within the visa period. This visa will enable you to proceed to permanent visa after satisfying the visa conditions prescribed.